With a slight push of my mother, I decided that it was a good idea to do a masters degree. Yes a BSc in Geology and Mathematics is not quite good enough apparently, so lets spend another 2 and a bit years in the Cotton Building at Victoria University.
The original project wasn't going to work, so for a good month I had no project lined up...
But, who waits patiently, will be rewarded, and I got to go to Antarctica and collect sediment cores from underneath the Ross Ice Shelf, and analyse the sand and mud (oh yes, very scientific) to see how this large ice shelf behaved since the last ice age.
I went to Antarctica in November 2010, and got to be there for 5 weeks. It was an amazing experience, and hopefully followed by many more :)
The year 2011 was a hard one for me and my family. My father's cancer came back, and a lot of other family things happened. It was not easy, but we got through it. In November 2011 my dad passed away, and we found him a beautiful resting place in Nelson.
The thesis didn't go away, and it was hard to motivate myself, or even find the brain-power to read the scientific papers, or learn the programs I needed to use.
With the help of my supervisors, and the other people in the Antarctic Research Centre at VUW, I made it. On August the 15th, I printed out three copies and bound them. It is done! I am very happy with the end result, and hopefully the two markers like it as well!
![]() |
| Binding :-) |
![]() |
| Signing the documentation so I can hand in my thesis |



No comments:
Post a Comment