When my mum and I were enjoying our day in Amsterdam, Ruben had sent us a text that he would have some time off, and we asked him if he wanted to join us in Holland. Auckland or Amsterdam, from Singapore it doesn't really matter.
Saturday 25 August, Schiphol and Mysteryland
Dirkje had stayed the night again, and we had to leave the cute little house in Edam for the weekend. The three of us were at Schiphol at 7.15 am, and after a short wait Ruben was among us. After Schiphol, we made our way towards Egmond, one of the town at the coast in Noord-Holland.
When it was clear when I would be in Holland, I looked up the dates of some music festivals, the kind I used to visit only to frequently almost a decade ago. And yes, Mysteryland was going to be held on the 25th of August. I contacted a friend who works for one of the organizers and he was super awesome, and managed to get me + one on the guest list.
My uncle has a caravan on the beach, which stays there from late April till early September, and this was going to be our home for the weekend.
Ruben and I drove about 30 minutes to the area where Mysteryland was, it was variable weather, with quite a bit of rain for forecasted. It was August 2003 and I was at my last Mysteryland. Was great to be there with Ruben, and 60,000 other people!! Crazy! Nice music and awesome laser show, very happy I got the chance to go.
 |
| Looking back from Q-Dance :-) |
 |
| Q-Dance stage during the day |
 |
| Lasershow in the "Big Tent" |
 |
| The Q-Dance stage in the darkness |
26 and 27 August, Egmond, Alkmaar and Purmerend
It is actually really cool to have a caravan on the beach. Back in the day, we had one as well. Its just a little holiday home, with toilet, kitchen, shower outside (or inside...), a little seating area and of course beds. Some caravans have their own power, through solar energy. But, my uncle's caravan is nice and basic, the lighting in the evening comes from oil lamps and candles, and the shower is outside, and only has cold water.
After working so hard at uni for the last year (or more...), this trip for me was not only about catching up with friends and family, but also being able to relax again.
My throat was already tickling during the week, and when Ruben and I went to Mysteryland, my voice was hoarse. I knew that the occasional rain was not going to be any good, and yes, on Sunday I had the flu. Just my body telling me to take it easy I guess. As you have seen in previous post, I have had a very busy time in Holland....
The weather on Sunday granted me to just sit inside the whole day, as the rain continued through most of the day. However, the Kermis (the fair) had moved to Alkmaar, which is a city very close to Egmond, and the five of us (Ruben, my mum, uncle and cousin) went there after dinner. This one was significantly bigger than the one in Hoorn, and it took a while to see all the attractions.
It was a lot of fun, and some of the attractions were a bit scary.... The little bit of a voice I had, soon disappeared from the screaming I did :-)
 |
| The dunes |
 |
| The beach |
 |
| My mum and uncle in the "Jumper Jumper" I am sure you can guess what kind of movement this attraction made |
 |
| Ruben trying to hit a nail |
 |
| View from inside the caravan |
 |
| Looking towards the dunes |
 |
| Lots of caravans |
 |
| The path through the dunes |
 |
| Monday night dinner with two friends from high school in Purmerend |
 |
| You get to choose you tea when you get the hot water |
28 August, Sailing on the Markermeer
Good family friends spent their holiday on their 9 metre long boat, sailing through Holland. In their final week they made a stop in Edam, and Ruben, my mum and I were able to catch up with them. It turned out to be a lovely day sailing on the Markermeer, made a stop in Marken, and sailed into the harbour of Volendam. It was gorgeous!
 |
| Sjaak and my mum |
 |
| Lovely boat |
 |
| We passed an old sailing boat. Isn't it awesome! |
 |
| Me, Ineke and Sjaak |
 |
| Traditional clothing in Marken |
 |
| A bedstee. This is where people used to sleep. As you can close them with two doors, they were often built in the living room, hence a separate bedroom wasn't needed. Also, in the 16th and 17th century, lying was associated with death, and people slept half sitting up. |
 |
| Looking out over the Markermeer |
 |
| Ruben at the helm |
 |
| Volendam |
 |
| Brother and sister |
 |
| A sluis. I can't find an english word for it, but this is where they change the water level. So you come in with your boat, they close the 'gate', and depending if you are going to an area where the level is higher or lower of where you came from, the water drops or rises in between the gates. |
No comments:
Post a Comment