Sunday, August 19, 2012

After 9 years...

As a handing-in present from my mum, I left New Zealand on the 17th of August to back to Holland for almost 4 weeks. I had not been back to Europe since we moved in September 2003, quite a while!
I flew via San Francisco, with Air NZ, and then jumped onto a KLM flight to Amsterdam.
The first flight was like 12 hours, I luckily got a seat by the emergency exit, a bit more leg room. 
Managed to get a few hours of sleep, but my bum wasn't all that happy sitting for that long.
I arrived in San Francisco at 12 pm, the que in front of customs was long! I was a bit nervous asking the ppl in uniform if they could help me, next flight would leave at 2pm. And I found out later that the  the check-in for the next flight closed at 1pm. Hurry Hurry. 
The only thing I saw in San Fran...

First thing the lady said at the KLM check-in was: YOU ARE LATE...... (by 8 minutes..) yes ma'm.... I got lost, and the que was long....!! Anyway, I was allowed to get on the plane, but I still felt that I had to rush... My first security check that I had to take my shoes off.... 
I made it onto the plane, a 747, and was trying to mentally prepare myself to be in a plane for another 10 hours! An aisle seat this time, still more leg room than in most of the other seats. I had good company, a dutch family who had just finished a 2 week long holiday around California, and all the National Parks there. Definitely a place to visit! Maybe some of my USA friends can guide me through Yosemite :-)
I had to do quite a few stretches, my legs were not that happy with me. I had found a little space at the back of the aircraft, and managed to sit with my legs in the air, was a good feeling!
And then finally, after 9 years, I arrived at Schiphol. And I had 4 people waiting for me! My mum and cousin, Robin and Aifa. I hadn't seen Aifa for 9 years, it was was really good to see all of them!


Driving on the wrong side of the road, we made it to Purmerend, where we picked up my mum's rental car. An awesome little VW. 
Lunch at the Koemarkt (cow market) in Purmerend, and I had a 'broodje-kroket' (meat-croquettes on bread). So good! 
Walking through the city was funny, there are so many bikes!! Bought a dutch-sim card, walked around town, and it was time to get some groceries.... I had lots of giggles. 
And I think people in NZ don't really want to know this, but yesterday it got to 32C, and today much the same, with 33C.... 
Very warm!! 
And today we will head out, and go to my uncles birthday party. 
Came on the same plane as me... haha!

24 in a crate
Popcorn in a bucket

In the supermarket

Will have to try some

very warm, lots of children playing in the water

Aifa and myself at the Koemarkt

bikes bikes bikes

My mum had her fashion store here

Old city council chambers

Cheese shop 

 


2 comments:

  1. Gah! Already jealous of your holiday!! I hope you have an amazing time Sanne :D
    Love Debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your happy face, and your mum's too!
    "driving on the wrong side of the road" Lol that cracked me up because I said the same to my family when I arrived to NZ.

    Sending lots of love! xx

    ReplyDelete